When my family moved in 1994 we moved to a less.... hmmm, how do I say this.... rural area. I was comfortable in my bubble of Tarrent. I had all my friends, was involved in a few sports teams and had cheerleading. Never had I thought there was something outside of that nor did I even want more!
Still, we moved and I changed schools. I distinctly remember the first day at my new elementary school. While on the playground a group of girls approached me and said: Hey, we like your clothes. You can be friends with us. I don't remember what I was wearing, or even caring about my clothing before this incident (it was elementary school for goodness sake!), nor was I interested in being their friend.
Sadly it became a secret obsession and hate of mine. I had always been teased about my speech impediment- which was nearly fixed by 3rd grade- and now I had to change how I spoke in every scenario! I finally felt that I had achieved my goal when people began to ask me where I was from when I worked in restaurants in my teens. After telling them I was a native Alabamian they didn't believe me as I had "no accent at all!" It made me glow inside. Still to this day when people meet me they question why I have no accent- 80% of the time it is the first thing people say to me.
Which finally brings me to the point of this now way too long blog. I was listening to my favorite radio show- This American Life last night and they had a story from Mississippi. The country accents and sayings were multitudinous. and slowly I began to long for the quite simply sayings such as:
-Hug his neck
-I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw em
-I declare
-Neck of the woods
-I'm fixin' to go to the store.
-ain't she the purtiest thing you ever seen?
-He doesn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of!
-gimme sugar
Maybe when I'm back stateside I'll take a course in a new foreign language- the Southern Draw. I do believe it was Mark Twain that said Southerns speak music.
ps- enjoy the random pics from this weekend that have nothing relating to this blog.

7 comments:
i think that the pics do have something to do with your post 'cause your fixin to leave and your going to start missing all the german things you can say.
i think that I use MUCH more southern lingo since leaving the south (like this entire comment). i have the reverse problem from you, though, where i don't have no street cred with my redneck friends because i don't naturally have a southern accent.
what's "Tarrent"?
and I just discovered this podcast called, "A Way with Words." you should give it a listen
oh and you've always been good at dressing, but it's not the reason your friends are who they are, i don't think.
haha- Tarrent is the name of city I grew up in- and go ahead and admit that my clothing is the only reason you are my friend (winky face)
"Tarrant"
whoops! sorry "Ray" which I'm going to assume is Mom! I should know how to spell Tarrant I guess- I did spell it enough in those cheering days!
and can these photos please go on facebook sometime?
Well, Missy,
This is your Aint Kristi and I know that I speak Southern Slang and so does the rest of your kin folks down here in the back woods of Marion, Alabama. I didn't realize that you had such a hatred toward Southern Slang. Is it really such a terrible thing? Does it make me unhappy to speak differently that you city folks??? Absolutely NOT!!! Maybe when you get back home you might remember that you have redneck kin folks and it hurts their feelings when you hate something so deeply that is our way of life. Welcome home and welcome back to
AL-A-BAM-A!!! Love Ya!!
Post a Comment