Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lucky #54!

don't make me explain why 54 is my lucky number... just know it is for absolute weird, kinda unexplainable reasons. Why the number 54 you ask? Oh this is my 54th blog... whilst others are celebrating their 1 Year Blogaversary or 100th Blog, I am only so far as #54 and want to celebrate!

Tomorrow and Friday I have my German test and my brain is spewing with Germanisms now... for example I just had to erase- Tomorrow und Friday I am making mine Deutsch test. I have really spent a lot of time studying and speaking more recently, and I'm not complaining about it or asking for props, because I am REALLY enjoying it still! What I do not enjoy is how after a day of German I find that my English is complete shit! Germanism's wanting to slip in here and there... making me look so foolish! So what is a Germanism? Pretty much its just when I get my German mixed up with my English. I'll begin a list to try to show you...

- I just said to a friend "ich auch" when wanting to say "me too"
- when typing "I have" sometimes I type "ich habe" and 80% of the time think it- but only 54% is it actually spoken
- speaking in the past... I think "ich habe... gesagt."
- when I have any pain.. like now... I always say it in German first- "Ich habe bauchschmerzen" (I have stomach pain)
- I nearly always f- up when I don't know something and say "Ich weiß nicht" oder "kanno ano" (which is completely misspelled but I just realized I have never seen it written and cannot figure it out... Rach help!)
- it also happens when driving- gerade aus (go straight), links/rechts abbiegen (turn left/right)
- my favorite... I can finally curse the other drivers and people appropriately! "Ahhh!!! Was machst du?? Du bist blöd!!" (ahhh!! what are you doing?? you are stupid!!!) and when the car is kid free- "Scheiße! Du bist eine Schlampe!" (sry... no translation for that one)

In other Germanism news: when one cannot find a parking spot in the free parking lot, sometimes sacrifices are necessary.

those sacrifices are- being able to get out of either doors and as you can see, come out the hatch back whilst your good friend just laughs and takes photos instead of assisting your escape. (ps- I was able to get back into the car via the passenger door)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Those photos are amazing! Although I cannot see the second becoming a cult facebook photo, it's still the awesome.

You're German has gotten REALLY GOOD! I'm surprised how much you managed to learn in such a short span of time!!

Isn't it hilarious when you've no idea how to spell something and you get it sooooo wrong? you ready for it? KEINE AHNUNG! I only just learned there was an H in there, so...

I feel like only recently I've gotten the Germanisms to leave my head. It's that CanadIAN that I've been talking to recently. He insists on not doing that, so when I talk with him, I make a point to avoid it too and it helps. But whatevs. You'll never loose your Muttersprache. And also bear in mind that everyone except you probably things it's cute or cool.

That was basically an email in comment format.