Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Munich Part 3

continuing on with the events of Saturday:

We returned to our host family and rested a bit before we went back into the city for a dinner at the Hofbrauhaus. It is one of the oldest breweries in Munich and serves typical Bavarian food in a typical Bavarian way. The waitresses and waiters wearing leaderhosen and dirndl can carry unimaginable amounts of beer. I took suggestions from the guys sitting next to us and got a liter of beer to drink- I was a happy camper. When my food arrived my jaw dropped!! It was a HUGE pork knuckle with potato dumplings and of course sour kraut!!! I don't think anybody could finish this much food, but I dug in with the intent on finishing my plate for good luck! It didn't happen, but I did finish my beer with no problems! :)



On Easter Sunday we had breakfast with the family left Munich heading south to a city named Fussen- where Cinderella's castle is. OK, it's King Ludwig II's, but apparently Disney used it to design the one in Disney World. It's also in the Baviarian Alps, and if you didn't know, seeing the Alps has been on my to do list for a while now. It goes without saying, I was excited to get into the mountains. To make the experience even better and more like a winter wonderland- it started snowing when we got there!


We were staying in a hostel at the bottom of the mountain- great deal only 25E for the night- including breakfast, in walking distance of the castle, and we had a balcony that you could see the castle from! It was an amazing end to our trip. We hiked up to the castle, drank some Gluhwine, toured the inside of the castle, played in the snow, and had dinner. It was an picture perfect ending to our weekend- take a look for yourself:

No comments: