Monday, May 11, 2009

Life's a Beach!

Daytona Beach- heard about it my entire life... now I know what all the fuss is about!  Growing up we never ventured past Gulf Shores, AL beaches.  After visiting innumerable beaches in the past years I now understand why.  

The beaches in Gulf Shores are white, soft sand.  The beach part isn't too long where you are exhausted after walking to find a spot and the waters- although not clear like other beaches- are just dark enough to hide the scary/disgusting things and light enough to expose that sting ray before you set foot on it! It's the perfect family vacation beach.

Florida beaches around Jacksonville don't have soft sand that I like- I nearly always keep my shoes on because it feels more like my feet are being exfoliated... and well that just tickles and hurts a bit!  Bahama beaches- wonderous!  They have pink sand but do not offer the skanky (yeah I just said skanky) beach shops and beach side restaurants (heart Sea n' Suds.)  Northern Spain beaches have beautiful views of green mountains which offered a scenic difference- but it was too cold to truly enjoy!  Eastern Spanish beaches in Barcelona had gold flecks in the water and nudey sun bathing.  Greek beaches offered it all nearly.  Rocky beaches, hard sand beaches, soft sand beaches (my and Carley's favorite), beach shops, restaurants, and Mtv spring break- all year round- type beaches... but who can afford to take a family trip to Greece yearly?

This brings me back to my venture to Daytona beach.  I met Steph and David there one Sat- it was kinda a half-way point for us.  None of us had a plan- just meet at Kmart and we'll figure it out.  After raiding K-mart for unnecessary items we headed towards the beach which I surprisingly found out we can DRIVE ON!  Apparently, this is the appeal of Daytona Beach.  So we paid the $5 and drove onto the beach- and had the ultimate "dry" tailgate, taught some random kid how to play Frisbee, and tried to enjoy the frigid cold Atlantic waters.





No comments: