Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Orange groves and crocodiles= FL

This past weekend I took a trip back down to Orlando, FL to visit some great friends.  Even though my trip was short it was still very awesome!

Some hate to drive or ride in cars.  I am not one of those people!  I love to drive and ride as long as there is cool music!  I especially love taking back roads instead of the boring interstates.  That's what I did on my way home from Orlando back to Jacksonville.  

The scenic route took me through orange groves, old timey American towns and swamp lands where I just KNOW crocodiles lived!  One town in particular that I loved was DeLand.  It was founded in 1876.  As you drive down the main street lined with old oak trees covered in spanish moss, you begin to feel as though you are in American 1930.  I had the strong desire to stop and see if I could find an old diner and have a milk shake- but wasn't lucky enough.  Although it is a small town, it made quite the impression on me and I told my friend in Jax about DeLand.  
It turns out DeLand is where he (originally from Michigan) would go and visit family as a child.  His family originates from FL and they have a family story they have passed through the generations about the oldest city in the US- St. Augustine- only 30 minutes away from me.  Apparently his great great.... uncle discovered that when their family first arrived in Florida from Poland they were given a piece of land, like all who disembarked the boat.  The piece of land his family was given he wanted to reclaim.  He had concrete facts and actually went up the ladder of appeals- up to the very top.  When he presented his case to the top officials they laughed at him.  The land he claimed was his families is St. Augustine.  I haven't visited St. Augustine yet, but I hear there is a house there named "The Gonzalez House", so maybe, just maybe, my friend owns St. Augustine and just can't prove it!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

you make me love America again!