Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How To:

Make a German fall in love with the states???

I hoped to make this entry a "how to"... but since I have no clue yet I'm ending it with a "?" but here is my "How To" plan thus far :)

to start with I guess I should inform my blogdience that I have the horrific goal of trying to impress my German "friend"- ("Himself" is what he will be called) with my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama next month. I am of course starting by planning, taking suggestions... please- SUGGESTIONS!!, and calling in reinforcements- my amazingly fun friends- from all over! :)

Everyone from the Salty Ham knows that the one amazing thing about our city is FOOD!! We have so many delicious, unique, and trendy restaurants to choose from! So of course, this is where I have started my planning- where to eat! I am not too worried about being able to impress him with the food I mean look at what Germans eat:

*ok description of this food- it's held together by a clear gelatin. inside it's some kind of a pig meat with a boiled egg and pieces carrot? on the outside- the pig meat is wrapped around what they call "meat salad"- a mayonnaise based salad with thinly sliced pickles and pig meat

Granted that IS the most disgusting thing I have ever seen and I have only seen it eaten 3-4 times in my year here- but still- THEY MADE IT! and it looks soooo nasty! And don't even get me started on what they think Americans eat... here's some photographic evidence from last nights' shopping adventure- their version of "American Food":

*yes, this is a PREMADE hotdog!! it even comes with condiments inside... bacon bits and all! I vomited in my mouth a bit when I saw this! please notice the wonderful shape of the buns in pic 2.... tempting no?

With those retched examples in mind you can now see how the food factor of my trip will not be too difficult to uphold. I plan on dining at Mexican restaurants, American Steak houses, yummy old Bham hotdog hole in the walls, "Maw and Pop" veggie places... if anything my problem will be eating at ALL the places I want.

Now I need suggestions of the entertainment section of this trip. Of course there are the obvious sights one has to see: Vulcan's Ass, Oak Mountain Park, Malls, Downtown Homewood, places I've told Himself about- but yeah that's all I got! I need help on the sight seeing factor! I've even ventured as far as thinking- "maybe I can take him to McWain Center one day..." Only to remember- he is older than 11 and most likely will not enjoy it that much!

So countdown begins- I'll be home Aug 26- 12 days from when this is posted- Himself will join me on Sept 7th... plenty of time to plan a wonderful trip... right?

3 comments:

Christy said...

....since my job is boring and I'm here at the computer all day...

...i'm working on a list, food included...

they just published a small red book here, which you can get at books a million, that is all about the ham and things to do...I've been wanting to check it out..maybe you need that, umm what am I saying? WE have lived here all our lives, I think between us we can have the perfect bham experience.

...off to work..

Allison and Ben Brandt said...

haha, the salty ham. i definately suggest purple onion, yummy how i miss their food. i'll be thinking of other noteworthy stops. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should take him to the greatest school in Alabama - that would be UA, of course. (From a Bama mom)! Swing around to Tallehaghee (sry about the spelling)see if he can drive a NASCAR car.