Sunday, April 26, 2009

Part 2- Niagara Falls

DID YOU KNOW that Niagara Falls is actually a city name?  I didn't, but I guess I never really thought about it.  Apparently there is a Niagara Falls, NY and a Niagara Falls, Canada- it's not just a waterfall but cities.  Also, a little tip about the Niagara Falls-  Niagara Falls, NY is sad, small, dirty and depressing!  Get your passport and go over the bridge and stay in Canada!  Oh and another travel tip- the train ride from New York to Niagara Falls is pretty and know what else?  Trains are actually pretty nice and spacious!  It's a long trip, but on the way you go along the Hudson River passing light houses and some nice nature.  

Going from New York to Niagara I had the intent of getting out of the big city and getting a bit more into nature.  However, Niagara Falls is sorta like a mini Universal Studios with all the American favorites- Hard Rock Cafe, Ripley's Believe it or Not, fast food, and of course Starbucks.
  
 #1- Pic in front of American Falls; #2- Canadian Falls

We arrived on the American side in the evening, got a cab to the boarder then walked over the bridge to Canada.  I think another first for me too- never walked over a boarder- def not one I had to have a passport for!  Oh, a
nd since it's apparently still winter in Canada there was snow all that day and ice on the bridge, but it made the falls look stunning.  
  
Since I was, as usual, traveling without a plan we arrived with no agenda and were surprised to hear from our hostel owner, Patrick, that Niagara Falls has more to offer than just the falls.  Down the road from the Falls is the world's largest whirlpool, there are vineyards, and apparently the town that The Gilmore Girls show was based on is also nearby.  We visited the falls, of course, and walked down to see the whirlpool as well. 

2 comments:

Allison and Ben Brandt said...

Gilmore Girls...for real!? So great! I hate that I can't enlarge these pics :(

Mandie P said...

I hate you can't enlarge them too- can't figure out how to make them clickable now that I'm using the mac... I uploaded them a bit larger though.